Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A visit to The Smoke.

I like London. Really I do. Y'know- the busy streets and secret alleyways and the coffee shops and the landmarks. That big city feeling- you know the one.
I didn't notice any of that last Thursday though. I woke up at 3am. Showered at 5. Tried to swallow some breakfast at 6. Gave up and got on the Tube at 7. Took a deep breath in front of the US Embassy at 9. The rest is a blur. More so than you'd imagine.
The last 7 months have panned out well and I have much to be grateful for. But life has been in limbo and I'm more than ready to be back in the States with the boy. The weight of that had my stomach in a tangle on Thursday morning, to say the very least.

After three hours of watching a screen for my number to appear, I managed to exchange afew pleasantries with the immigration officer before my body said 'nope' and well... I fainted. Right in the middle. of. the. embassy.
I don't remember much other than opening my eyes wondering why I was lying star-shaped on the floor. Almost a week later, I can giggle with the best of them about how it all played out. At the time, I was seeing stars, being offered cookies and saying 'I feel a bit silly' while having my blood pressure taken and being assessed as looking 'very grey'. oh good. This was not how I'd planned it.

Replaying this incident in my mind makes me want to stick my fingers in my ears and hum loudly. It's hard to look that memory in the face. But on the upside, despite missing a form which will delay my departure, my application was approved! I get to marry the boy. 
I should express my gratitude to the people at the Embassy who were very sweet to me during this little drama. They will never read this, but they deserve a mention, as kindness must be recognised, I think. Thanks also to my Mum and sister who both took days off work to jolly me along (...thanks also to my dog, and my lucky socks and....). Ok, that is all :)
This was a big deal for me, I'm excited for the future.


13 comments:

  1. Great drawings!

    Congrats on your application approval... and the amusing story too, although I guess it would take a while to get pass the embarrassment to see the funny side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your approval - and a memory that will stay with you forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely art and exciting (?) adventure. Well, anyway, you have some very unique memories that your future family and friends will love to hear one day. Not everyone has the whole embassy waiting on the hand and foot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific drawings and great story. I fainted in a butcher shop with my husband once, and when I came to, he (along with a crowd), was standing over me saying to everyone, "She'll be fine ... she's a nurse". I laugh about it to this day, and it was about 36 years ago! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you concentrate the color in the middle and then fade it away on the sides...
    Congratulations on getting your application approved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on such great news. Glad you are feeling better. Lovely sketches too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow!! Congratulations on the approval and the sense of humor! I'm glad you didn't get hurt when you fainted. ! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome image! And congratulations with the application as well :) So when are you flying?

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, I am a fellow 'fainter'. It always happens at the worst of times and I could surely tell you a tale or two. So don't feel bad about it - you are not alone!
    Great sketches and great news - congratulations and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO happy for you! Congratulations! Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well and hope all is well now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, and I wish you well in all your projects!
    Your work is fantastic, it's a real treat to browse your blog entries and admire your drawings! Your typewriter a little below on the page is wonderful : )!
    Love this drawing of London, too, and the way you've colored it only in parts. Looks great.
    And I don't know if it will make you feel better about it, but from an outsider's point of view, your fainting at the ambassy seems very romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This picture is awesome! So colorful and full of life! Just perfect! I like it a lot!
    I'm glad your story had a happy end!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a story! A classic for the times. Welcome to the USA and blessings on the marriage.

    ReplyDelete