Sunday, May 5, 2013

Things of Spring

 

Since returning home from our trip to California, it's been business as usual around here. The warmer weather is infectious, and my latest hand-printed cards have a colorful spring in their step. I'm still getting to grips with the whole printing thing, and I mostly end up covered wholly in ink, but there really is nothing more satisfying than a freshly printed picture. The waste-paper basket has seen a lot of action, and I'm going through soap like it's going out of style. This is an honest sort of craft though, and it's fun to produce what feels like a series of mini artworks- each one unique. Chicken soup for the soul, this printing thing. 


Can't go wrong with a rainbow of thanks. Variety is the spice of life, am I right?


 In other news, a certain somebody had a birthday recently. In an ambitious bid for wife-of-the-month award, I did a little research and surprised Forrest with a home-brewing kit. We proceeded to make a big mess, while Felix looked on, wondering why we wouldn't just cook some bacon instead.


And voila! After a few weeks of twiddling our thumbs and checking our watches, we had officially brewed a batch of Belgian ale. We'll make a master-brewer out of my husband yet. One of the finest beverages ever to grace a (fancy schmancy) beer glass. Gold star, Forrest!


 It's also that time of year where I have to battle my fears and hold my breath as spiders scurry around me in the garden. I think only three screams have escaped my lips, but jeez do those eight-leggeds know how to leap out at me. Shudder.
I have big plans for canning this year and I am SO EXCITED, but it's really not being very sunny and my plants seem to be at a standstill. Maybe I'm just looking at them too often. We also have about a million volunteer tomato seedlings shooting up everywhere, presumably from our compost or old tomatoes from last year that got dug back into the soil. It's pretty neat.  Mother Nature is one interesting lady. 



No comments:

Post a Comment