Thursday, June 9, 2011

Apache patch

Though I don’t entirely count out the possibility of making multi-millions with my savvy business ability and award-winning artworks one of these days (cough)…..I’m still kinda one for doing favors since y’know, what goes around comes around. I try to keep on good terms with Karma. So when one of my favorite neighbors of old asked me to design a patch for his Apache helicopter class, how could I say no? I couldn’t! I didn’t.

There is this crazy thing with Apaches, where the pilots are trained to fly ‘the bag’. That is, with all the windows blacked out. Flying ‘blind’. Talk about a rite of passage into an elite group. I was lucky enough to witness one of these training sessions from the ATC tower one sunny Saturday morning in January. Some of the (often unintentional) Apache acrobatics performed by the flight school students were a bit dizzying, to say the least.

So, these bright young things fly helicopters to keep America safe. I design their patches to keep them happy. Good deal. The design- as I know you have guessed- is an apache student flying ‘the bag’. Your powers of deduction are second to none.

So I approached my house the other day, to a waiting box. The kind of box that says ‘get excited, I am full of treats’. There ain’t no better type of box. So while I didn’t ask for payment, this sweet class of pilots sent me a gift basket full of delights (thank you, I DO like to smell of ‘orchid blossom’ whenever possible!), and of course, one of the patches. I think it’s pretty neat. Glad I could help!


6 comments:

  1. Fabulous story and one awesome patch! How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it will bring luck to all those young pilots, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know that those pilots are smart. There certainly chose the right person to design their patch. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to say thanks to our troops.
    very cool patch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, not everyone gets to design a patch! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete